Monday, March 3, 2008

"Mom, I'm sorry I pulled Jesus' fire alarm..."

Yes folks, you heard me right. Aidan pulled the fire alarm at church yesterday. Luckily all the blocks were finished. I had stayed after to run through a musical number that I'm accompanying for Enrichment on Thursday and since Brett was home with Ethan, Aidan was pretty much left to his own devices. I was trying to pay attention to him while practicing and was already frustrated that the people singing didn't even know their parts and needed to practice without me first when all of the sudden the alarm went off. I'm surprised he was able to reach it- why wouldn't they place it higher on the wall? On the way out of the room to check the alarm I also noticed that he had drawn on the chalk board with a dry erase marker in the relief society room. Sigh. So we scrubbed the marker off the chalkboard and our practice was put to an end quickly- thank goodness. I was not happy- it sounds funny now but it was pretty much the hit the wall moment for me that week. As we were getting in the car, the whole brigade pulled up- 2 firetrucks, with about 5 men each, a volunteer SUV and an ambulance. I drove over to the first firetruck and asked them if any of them wanted to explain to a 3 year old why we don't pull the alarm. They laughed that he was only 3 and came over to the car and told him not to pull it again. Then they rewarded his behavior with a sticker and called him an honorary fireman. Fabulous. :) It was ok- he felt really bad and the alarm really scared him so I was really glad they were nice about it. On the way home I was really quiet and he said, "Mom, I'm sorry I pulled Jesus' fire alarm." Sweet boy.

11 comments:

Jessica said...

Although I am sure it was really frustrating for you, its also a really cute story! Its so cute that he thought about how it was Jesus' alarm since you were at church! Don't you just love 3 year olds?!

Becca Jane said...

That's really funny! Good thing it was during Sacrament Meeting or something! That'll always be a funny story to tell.

Jordan and Danny said...

I've been thinking about this all day. So funny. I'm glad that you can laugh about it so quickly!

Joseph, Julianna, Mason and Eli said...

I told some people at work and they thought it was so funny.

Joseph, Julianna, Mason and Eli said...

I told some people at work and they thought it was so funny.

The Meaghers said...

Becca-
Sounds like there is never a dull moment around there. Firetrucks are a very dynamic way of getting out of a bad practice?! Bet the ward will be talking about that one for a while.
You do have a very sweet 3 year old!?
-Holly

Tim and Laurel said...

HILARIOUS! Isn't it always the funny stories that just about kill us when they are actually happening? I can't believe the fire department showed up in full force...that makes it an even better story. (and how sweet to apologize about pulling Jesus fire alarm.) I can't believe Ethan is 3!! Good grief time flies!

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh! That is hilarious. What a fantastic blackmail story for future girlfriends!

janna said...

So,so cute--although being the mom at the time was pretty frustrating for you I'm sure. That story will definitely have to go into his memory book. Loved hearing "In the Arms of an Angel" in the background--one of my top 10 favorites!! The pictures of you, Brett and the boys are always so cute--keep up the good work!!

Chandee said...

Hi Becca,
I found you on Holly's blog. How is life going, your boys are so cute. Where are you living now, we just moved back to Orem.

We have never pulled the fire alarm anywhere yet, but I have a boy that could be grouped into that same sort of mischievous behavior, but he wouldn't feel bad!

Chandee

Meredith and Abe Fish said...

The boys are just so darn cute. I can't believe Aidan pulled the fire alarm. Little boys are a handful aren't they. Your Ethan is changing so much. Such a cutie! I hope things are going well. ~Meredith