Brett and I decided to celebrate Valentines the weekend before since it was on a school night and I'm so glad we did. We enjoyed a nice night out having dinner and shopping for the kids for Valentines Day. Ethan had been fighting his asthma over the weekend so Monday morning I took him into the doctor and his lungs were so closed up it took 3 breathing treatments to open him up. They sent us home with an oral steroid and we just went about life as usual (we are getting to be pros at this...it doesn't really phase us anymore). We made a "red" dinner for Valentines: spaghetti, red jello, and dipped strawberries and marshmallows in chocolate for dessert. The kids thought it was fun to be surprised with a new toy and it was a really fun night!
By Wednesday, I really wasn't feeling good about Ethan's health. He didn't seem to be responding to the medication and the breathing treatments weren't helping so I took him back in. The doctor did another 3 treatments to try to open up his lungs again and each time his oxygen levels just kept getting worse. After two hours of trying to make it better, he finally had him admitted into the hospital. He had a full case of RSV and bronchiolitis. We were in the hospital for a day and a half (which is a pretty easy stay for him) and were able to go home after he was able to go a full 4 hours in between treatments. Little did I know that it was just the beginning of our adventure. All three kids ended up getting full respiratory infections. Ethan got worse again after being out of the hospital and was almost admitted again over the weekend (luckily his oxygen stayed high enough to keep him out), Chloe got RSV which also turned into bronchiolitis and Aidan got the same cold which closed up his lungs. All 3 kids were on breathing treatments and oral steroids and I took one or more kids to the doctor everyday for 7 days straight. Over the weekend, I worried that Ethan and Chloe were going to both be admitted and was so grateful they weren't. I had to take a week off work, and Brett worked at home for the week as it was a full time job just staying on top of all the medications, doctor visits and sad babies! It took about 2 weeks for everyone to be recover fully and about a week past that for me to get caught up on life again. Poor little lungs! Can I just say how much I do not enjoy RSV season- every year (with the exception of last year) seems to bring trouble during those months.
Here is a picture of our cute Valentine before the sickness hit. Valentines Day was warm and beautiful and I loved getting Chloe out of her winter clothes!
1 comment:
I love reading your new posts! Great pictures, too! I love your family so much! Mom
Post a Comment