
I just finished reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, the same author who wrote Kite Runner. I can't even begin to tell you what an amazing book this is. I have never read anything like it and couldn't read it fast enough. I have also never, ever read anything so emotionally difficult or heart wrenching. My heart ached the whole way through it and there were times where it was just too much to handle and I had to put it away but it always drew me back. The book follows the lives of 2 women who live in Afghanistan over the last 30 years, when there has been nothing but war and turmoil in that country. It was so interesting to learn more about the country and the culture and to see it from another perspective other than where terrorists live. It sheds such a light on the women who live there and the terrible oppression that they endure. I have been given such a new perspective of how easy my life is and how grateful I am to live in a country where I can accomplish whatever I want to, where I can be equal with my husband and expect the respect that I deserve, where I can practice and teach my children the things that I believe in, and especially to live in a place that isn't torn apart by war and death on a daily basis. I highly recommend this if you are in need of a good book- it reads so easy and you develop such an affection for these women. I can't wait to ready Kite Runner next. I hope my heart can take it. :)
3 comments:
Wow, it sounds great. I am always looking for new great books, so I will have to read it after I finish the ones I am reading now.
I just got home from the post office, so expect The Kite Runner in a few days. I like your M&M too.
I really liked Kite Runner (although it was a really emotionally hard read, too) and I've been meaning to read this one too... now that I have your word for it, I'll have to give it a go.
Post a Comment